No fair using Google! ... but you may find some answers right here on our web site.
(For answers, scroll to bottom of page and click on the "answers" button)
History Quiz #4
- Early Southwest Wisconsin lead miners were known as _______.
- Social activist Dorthea Dix visited La Crosse’s “city poor house” in 1860 saying it was “the most barren, godforsaken house for the unfortunate she had been in for five years.” Where was the poor house located?
- True or false: In 1911, under Governor Robert La Follette, the Wisconsin legislature approved the nation’s first effective workers’ compensation program.
- In 1881, The Morning Chronicle reported that Frankie La Salle “was not only a sinner herself, but induced others of her sex wanting in age and experience to sin also.” What was her profession?
- About 3.5 miles northwest of Holmen, Seven Bridges Road (which was permanently closed in 1948) provided access to what?
- A crew of workers carrying picks, axes, shovels and wheelbarrows climbed a hill outside Mindoro and started digging at the rock in 1907. What did they create?
- Onalaska’s name comes from the poem, "The Pleasures of Hope", by the Scottish poet Thomas Campbell. (The original spelling of the name in Campbell's poem was "Oonalaska".) What was Oonalaska?
- A Baptist minister named Elder Card gave West Salem its name because he didn’t want it to be confused with another town named Salem and … the word Salem meant what?
- The name origin of La Crosse's French Island is due to early French settlers on the island, the first of whom was Xavier Goyette, who arrived on the island in what year?
- Author Howard Mumford Jones, who grew up in La Crosse, won the Pulitzer Prize and Emerson Prize in 1964 for his book _ _______ ___ _____.
History Quiz #3
- In 1904, George C. Poage became the first ever African-American Olympic medalist. (He medaled in track.) Young Poage was a resident of La Crosse. Which high school did he attend and graduate from?
- Dr. Mary Lottridge was the first woman with a medical degree and license to practice in the Midwest and was one of only four women doctors in the nation when she opened her medical office in La Crosse in 1885. She was a resident of what town?
- Blackhawk was a famous Sauk chief. Many of his people were killed or captured in what battle near Victory, Wisconsin?
- In 1950 there were just over 1500 farms in La Crosse County, the average size being 167 acres. True or false: About one fourth (25%) of these farms were classified as dairy farms.
- Brice Prairie's most famous former resident and landowner, a WWI veteran, was industrialist and philanthropist Vern Dale, who was known as “__ ____ __ ____ _______”.
- Some said that the two best days of your life were the days you bought and eventually sold your Happy Farmer. What manner of item was the “Happy Farmer”?
- In 1867 the city of La Crosse purchased its first steam-powered fire engine. What was it named?
- Who were the first Europeans to encounter indigenous people of the Upper Mississippi region?
- True or false: Elvis Presley performed at the Mary E. Sawyer Auditorium.
- Who donated Baron Island to the city of La Crosse?
History Quiz #2
Which member of the Hixon family is credited with preserving the historic Hixon House and its furnishings?
In Cody, Wyoming, there is a hotel named for Buffalo Bill’s daughter. What was her name?
When La Crosse Rubber Mills was established in 1897 what did it manufacture?
Which notorious 1930’s gangster visited La Crosse and stopped to get a haircut?
Which La Crosse mayor was responsible for the idea of replacing the Mary E. Sawyer Auditorium with a new convention center? (Hint: Serving twenty-two consecutive years in office, his years remain the longest of any La Crosse mayor.)
Who are the FSPA?
Adolf Gundersen had seven years of formal medical schooling in _____, Norway.
By 1908 Orthodox members of La Crosse’s Syrian people joined together and become known as the St. Elias Syrian Orthodox Society. Where were religious services held?
Evelyn Hartley was a 15-year-old high school student who disappeared from a home on La Crosse's south side during a babysitting job in October 1953. True or false: The case was solved in April of 1971.
What is the name of the prehistoric rock shelter, located in Barre Mills, which is associated with an ancient people?
History Quiz #1
- Who was the first Mayor Of La Crosse?
- In what decade did the Hmong begin to appear in La Crosse County?
- On what river was the War Eagle destroyed and sunk?
- The oldest formally organized Lutheran congregation in the city, organized in 1859, was German Evangelical Lutheran Church. What is that church called now?
- Who built the road to Grandad Bluff?
- True or False: There is a strong connection between La Crosse and General Mills.
- What was Myrick Park's original name?
- In what year did the U.S. Treasury issue the steel wheat penny in order to conserve resources?
- What brewing company originally claimed it had the "world's largest six pack"?
- True or False: Oktoberfest is an Austrian tradition.
Click the Answers button to see the answers