3D Models of Artifacts from LCHS Collections

 

Mons Anderson’s lion statue. Statue of a recumbent lion with its head up and frowning mouth open. It has a full, curly mane, flaring nostrils and angry eyes. Lion lays on a base that is the same material. Appears to be cast concrete, and has recently been painted gold.

One of a pair that flanked the entrance to the Mons Anderson Building in downtown La Crosse, WI, on the corner of 2nd St. and Main St. The other lion is in a public park in Spring Grove, MN.

Catalog Number: 1970.006.01

Date: c. 1870

Curated at: La Crosse County Historical Society, La Crosse, Wisconsin

Catalog Record: http://lchshistory.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/92100D13-C730-4EE1-A1AA-286535252917

Photogrammetry completed by Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Photography and model processing by Sofia Kinzer and David A. Anderson

 


Carved limestone architrave, or entablature, over the third story windows from the Mons Anderson Building in downtown La Crosse, on the corner of 2nd St. and Main St. The sign is in four pieces that together form the words “Mons Anderson’s Building” and a design of 3 legs running inside a circle, known as a “triskelion”.

Date: c. 1870

Catalog Number: 1974.001.06

Curated at: La Crosse County Historical Society, La Crosse, Wisconsin

Photogrammetry completed by Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Photography and model processing by Sofia Kinzer and David A. Anderson


Carved limestone plaque from the front wall of the Bartl Brewery in La Crosse, WI. Portrays an eagle with a barrel of beer in its talons, carved in bas relief inside a large circular depression. At the bottom the words FRANZ BARTL are carved, one on either side of the medallion.

This carved limestone block was set in the wall of the Bartl Brewery, originally Eagle Brewery, at the 2nd story level. Located at the northwest corner of La Crosse St. and West Ave, the building went up in 1895 and was torn down in 1971.

Catalog Number: 1970.008.02

Date: c. 1895

Curated at: La Crosse County Historical Society, La Crosse, Wisconsin

Photogrammetry completed by Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. Photography and model processing by Sofia Kinzer and David A. Anderson


Carved limestone sign for the Wisconsin Pearl Button Company. Shows a rampant lion, the company’s symbol, behind the word “Wisconsin” carved diagonally across the entire front of the stone slab, from lower left corner to upper right.

Catalog Number: 1982.029.01

Date: 1890-1920

Curated at: La Crosse County Historical Society, La Crosse, Wisconsin

Catalog Record: http://lchshistory.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/C9D8C20C-A16C-4CAE-B086-834802416947

Photogrammetry completed by Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Photography and model processing by Sofia Kinzer and David A. Anderson